Harder because she is the queen of throwing fits like you couldn't believe! Did/does anybody else's child go through this? And I am not talking the regular on the ground kicking and thrashing fits. This is ten times worse. When Brooke gets frustrated or upset she will purposely try to hurt herself. She will pull at her hair, rip at her clothes. If we put her in time out she will bang her head against the wall or floor until she cries. If she bangs her head once and that wasn't hard enough she will keep doing it! She acts like a child possessed! What is going on with my sweet girl? Last night we were at my MIL's house and it was time to go and Brooke didn't want to. She started throwing a fit and she threw her head into the corner of my MIL's kitchen cabinet. It left a nasty goose egg and Brooke was sobbing hysterically because it hurt so bad. Usually I try to stay calm and try to help her through it, other times I just send her to time out. Always I try to to stop it before it gets to the point of her hurting herself but last night was terrible! This picture isn't very good, but the big dent in Brooke's forehead is where she hit.
Friday, May 20, 2011
Easier yet Harder
It's funny how as Brooke gets older she gets easier yet harder at the same time. Easier because she can communicate more and we can reason with her a little bit. Easier because she is better at independent play and is more interactive when we play together.
Brooke loves play "nap-time or sleep-time" She is obsessed with putting her baby down for a nap and made a bed in the middle of the kitchen
Brooke doing sign language and animal sounds for the camera
Harder because she still can't quite communicate all that she wants to say and gets easily frustrated. Harder because she has become so independent. She is queen of "I do it!" She wants to dress herself: wear dresses even when it's rainy and cold outside--wear underwear all the time (even though she not fully potty trained--I am holding out until next week when I get out of school but boy is she ready!).Brooke took off her regular clothes and came down wearing her church tights (one of her loves) and this dress.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Hang in there! Its all about consistency. It'll get better, or she'll just out grow it. Its rough though till you get there!
I think this is pretty normal behavior. I know my dad when he was little would bang his head on the cement floor when he got angry. I have heard of a lot of kids that bang their heads against walls etc... I really don't have any advice though ;( I agree with the above comment consistency is the key. I think this behavior is all due to lack of being able to completely express her feelings. Eventually she will grow out of this! You can make it!
so true. i'm always thinking, when they're this age they'll be easier because they can do this or that; but then that age comes and it comes with its own set of challenges. so sorry about the hurting herself thing though! that's super frustrating. my nephew used to purposely bang his head too, it was crazy-- but he grew out of it.
i was laughing so hard at your projector/email woops! i've done that before and it's super embarrassing. funny!
I totally know what you mean. Sophie never hurts herself, but she is extremely strong-willed and will throw marathon tantrums.
I LOVE this book: http://www.amazon.com/Raising-Your-Spirited-Child-Rev/dp/0060739665
After reading it, I have realized I am more spirited than she is. :)
Oh, Courtney.....we are right there with you!!! Although our issue right now is not the melt downs and fits, but hurting other children. Yes, I have the mean kid at nursery. He pushes, hits, kicks, and body slams the other tots. We have been working so hard on enforcing consequences and following-through every time to help him learn. He knows better, but for some reason continues to misbehave. Today we had to leave Little Gym early because he exhausted his two chances. And then he cried all the way home. I hope he remembers this next week when we go again.
Tyler is very much into reading parenting books (maybe his profession has something to do with it ;).....so we have been reading "Parenting with Love and Logic for Toddlers". We have been working really hard to follow the guidance from this book and in other areas I have truly seen a difference. Like when he's about to have a melt down when it is time to go inside or get his bum changed, I offer, "uh-ho, do you need mom to carry you or do you want to walk like a big boy?" He now jumps right up and says "big boy" and will comply. If not, then I pick him up and say, "I'm sorry, it looks like you chose to have mom carry you...." And then he cries and yells, "big boy....big boy..." We have also talked a lot about making good choices and bad choices to help him understand that he has that power. May seem premature for a tot, but this book claims they are never too young to start implementing consequences.....Good luck!
There really is that easier and harder part at each age. Ryan would hit himself in the face during one phase when he was mad. Just hang in there and remember she's cute... even if it is a defense mechanism.
Got to love tantrums. Owen's tantrums started decreasing in frequency, but lately they have almost gotten out of control again. We are going to start a new behavior chart to see if it will work. I made some Mr. Happy magnets and Mr. Rude magnets and whenever he makes good choices, I'll put up a Mr. Happy magnet and Mr. Rude with poor choices. I ordered a treasure chest with random toys that he can pick from if he as more Happy magnets than Rude. I was going to have him pick a prize at the end of the day, but his OT suggested we do it more often at first so he doesn't get discouraged. His OT seems optimistic that this will help with the tantrums. I'll let you know how it goes.
This post was so cute! I am impressed she can put tights on by herself. Do you remember Olivia's careful fits... After bashing her head on the floor one day she started lowering herself more slowly when she was in a fit. I don't know what to tell you about Brookes self destruction. Carter used to scratch his face when he was about 5 and even now though Ethan will smack his own head when he gets frustrated. But I can talk them out of it because they were/are old enough to talk it out. Just be patient and be right there to restrain or give kisses.
Poor Brooke! Its so hard when they can't fully express themselves and contain those big big feelings. A good tip we got for Connor was creating 'a soft place' for him to go until he felt better, with favorite blankies, lovies, and a couple books and helping him learn to go there when he was feeling that way. I love how she likes to sleep in the middle of the kitchen!
I know that it gets a little harder as they get older but personally I prefer the toddler age. I love how teachable they are. I've always used the Power of Positive Parenting by Glenn Leathem to help guide my kids and I swear by it. She is a cutie!
Oh and P.S. both my kids have thrown themselves down during tantrums I think it's the age. Just ignore it and it will go away.
Post a Comment