Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Wonderful Weekend

Blake had a three days weekend, which is always nice. It's also nice when his weekends match up with mine, so we can actually spend some time together. Friday Blake and his mom floated the Green River again. The dam people (whoever they are) are releasing tons of water so the flow is really high and fast. I guess it was a wild ride and both of them got wet going through rapids.Saturday was spent doing yard work. Sounds boring, but I loved it! The weekend was beautiful! The sun was shining (we all got a little pink on the back of our necks), and we wore shorts and tshirts all day. For my mother's day Blake took me on a flower shopping spree. I've been itching to get some bright colors planted in our yard.
This is by our mailbox. It was full of crab grass that I had to pull out. The neighbor kids were out riding their bikes and saw me doing it so they all came over and offered to help. I said sure, so we pulled it all out. I'm not sure they did a very good job (i.e. getting the roots out) but it sure looks better than it did. I still want to add more flowers to this spot. The island around our tree. I planted some aisian lillies, daffodils, hyacinth and daisies. I couldn't decide what I wanted, they all looked so beautiful at the greenhouse, so I just got some of each!And my personal favorite: The Gerber Daisy! I planted these up by our front doorSo Saturday and Sunday were gorgeous, but Monday and today have been rainy and on the cooler side. I've been obsessing over my flowers that I just planted (stupidly thinking that summer was here to stay). I really hope they don't die!

Saturday night we had a BBQ with Blake's brother, his kids, and parents. Zac took this pic with his phone: all of us enjoying some time around the fire. It was so nice to be outside and eating and socializing. That is what summer is all about!
I have to tell a hilarious story about Blake (he will probably kill me for sharing this) but don't we all have a slip up that is just too funny to share? So, during dinner the other family was eating with us and we were talking about how we get our kids to eat and not be picky eaters, but also being aware of overeating and eating lots of junk food. Anyway, so Blake says "Yeah, there is a problem with children and beastiality. (I think he meant obsesity) But the coversation just stopped and we all looked at each other and burst out laughing. Sorry, babe, but it was too funny! That became a laughing point all night!

Sunday morning, Blake got up with Brooke so I could sleep in. He also made french toast and was good to get Brooke ready for church all by himself. There were no cries of "We need a Mommy!" that I usually hear. That night, we had another family get together at our house--the kids played and Blake grilled.

Sunday in nursery, the leaders took a picture of all the kids and emailed it to the moms for mother's day. I guess this is the best "Happy Mother's Day" face Brooke could muster:
Brooke showing me how she loves her dollyThen yesterday, Brooke was downstairs watching the "Horsey Movie" (aka Tangled) and she says" Look at my gloves, Mama!" Down to the final 2 1/2 weeks of school to go! YIPEE!

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Gerber daisies are one of my favorites, too. They are so cheery. I love that picture of everyone around the fire. "Oh, those summer nights." :)

Cali said...

Oh my gosh that is hilarious! (About Blake) I like your flowers too, so pretty! I'm sure they will be fine, the rain will help them grow! :) Yay for summer!

The Crace's said...

That is kind of a big slip! Too funny!

Sarah H. said...

Oh I love flowers! Our growing season is so short up here, so I can't really plant for another month. I never thought I would say this but...I really miss weeding on hot summer days.

Anonymous said...

I love when you said the dam people...I thought for a second you spelled it wrong. Then realized they really are dam people! Good luck with the last bit of school!

Mrs. Stephanie Finlayson said...

No worries for Blake with that story...I have about 100 of those kinds of stories about my mom! He gets it from her...not his fault.
I love your flowers. Happy Mom's Day! You are such a great mom.

Nicole said...

I am going flower shopping soon too. Gerbers do OK here, but they really like the hot, but not too hot and dry but not too dry of Utah. I always had good luck with gerbers in my pots. But the cool African daisies (white or yellow with purplish blue centers) that hated the UTah heat love it up here, as long as we get enough sun. But all in all Pansies do the best here. So I will get lots of those.

Tell Blake that Ethan went around telling everybody how our new little dog Buckwheat, that we are babysitting for 6 months, was going around HUGGING Champ. Everyone knew he meant humping and I had to explain what it was (sort of...we haven't had the whole talk with Ethan just yet) and told him to just not bring it up. Champ has been barking at Buckwheat in his big mean, "I am not gay," bark and is taking care of it on his own.

Kolbi Young said...

You flowers look great! You'll have to plant some bulbs this fall....that is my favorite thing about spring, all these flowers magically appearing without me having to do a thing :)

I love Brooke's nursery photo! That is how Ryker is the whole time he's in nursery, a deer in the headlights. Completely unsure of the other children, and if we leave, oh man expect a meltdown!

Carolyn said...

I love the new layout. Your family pictures are great!