Tuesday, October 18, 2011

More Nerd Stuff

Since I still need to get pictures from my MIL's camera to document our October-Fest we had last weekend, I will do a book report of sorts. I thought I would do a follow up on this list I blogged about last May.

I am happy to report I read all of the books (and then some) on my YA "To Read" list. I guess that is what happens when you are feeling nausous all summer :) So here are my thoughts

Books I LOVED:
Immortal Instruments Series: The best way to explain these books is it's a cross between the magic and battle between good and evil of Harry Potter and the romance of Twilight. FYI for younger readers: There are some pretty intense make-out sessions.

The Clockwork Angel: This is a prequel to the series above. I actually ended up liking this book more than the other series. Only because I LOVED the setting (turn of the century England) and thought the romance part was more sweet and slow to come.

The Study Series: There are three of these books--Poison Study, Magic Study, Fire Study I loved that the main character is strong-willed and not some damsal in distress. I loved that there is romance, but it doesn't overpower the book--the protagonist still has her own story beyond her boyfriend.

Juliet: It's been a while since I've read this, but I know I really liked it. It's a cross between a National Treasure and The DaVinci Code type story. Plus it had a main character who was over 20 and the story wasn't obscene in any way. Shocker!

Books that were OKAY:
The Beautiful Creatures series. Right now there are two books and the third one was just released. I can't really pinpoint what I don't like about them. They were good, but I found myself getting bored and skimming some parts. Plus the character of Lena drives me crazy. And you can tell the main character, Ethan, is a boy written by female authors. He is way too sensitive and intense for a high school boy. I still plan on reading the third one.

Incarceron: I just finished this one yesterday. It was good, but weird. It might have been a little too "out there" in the fantasy genre for my taste. I also think the author had a lot going on in the story so it made it a little confusing. Of course this book is just book number one in a series, so I will probably read the rest.

The Forest of Hands and Teeth series. Good, but the first two books were bascially the same story. The last book was by far the best. And even though they aren't obscene, I hesitate putting them in my classroom because the romance is kind of intense for a middle school audience, I think.

The Wolves of Mercy Fall series (Shiver, Linger, Forever). This was a story based on mostly emotions and thoughts of characters. There was very little actual action in these books. Also, by book #3 I was way more interested in the side characters stories because I was so bored with the two main characters.

The Maze Runner Series. The third book was just released and yes I will read it. I wasn't totally into the first two, but they were good. I a good boy book, I think. Lots of action and very little romance. Maybe that is why it's only "okay" for me. HAHA!

Books that were 'MEH:
The Beyonders. Sorry Brandon Mull but I could not get into this book. It was good but mostly I am bugged that this is going to be a trilogy! This story totally could have been told in one book. Plus the ending was terrible. The whole story builds up to this one moment and it's a huge letdown. But this story is really popular with a lot of my students.

Why are almost all YA books part of some kind of series? Now my "to read" is 10 times longer than it was in May. Also, I have done very little reading in the "adult" book category. Any suggestions? I get tired of YA storylines after a while :)

4 comments:

Courtney said...

Awesome post! But I am sure you figured I would think so. :) Maybe I will have to check out a few of these series.

Nicole said...

Let's see... I read The Tea Rose which is the first if a series. It was a little hard to get into and historically inaccurate in parts but decent. Love Walked In and Belong to Me are a two part story by Maria de Los Santos. Loved them. Oh on the YA scene we read The Tomorrow Code. A stand alone that was way good. Oh and back to adult books but a non fiction Battle Hymn of a Tiger Mother by Amy Chua. We are readig that for RS book group and it will be a good discussion. An easy read and a compelling study of Chinese American parenting.

Ryanne said...

I love the rundown on your summer reads. Now I can just refer back to this when I need something new :) I'll have to think about the adult book I've read this summer. I don't think there were many and most of them you recommended so . . . I do like Josi Kilpack and her mystery series. Very clean and an enjoyable read, the latest is Pumpkin Roll. And I did love Atlas Shrugged but that's one you have to read at least a chapter at a time. My new strategy is one book that's not a YA (right now its 1776) then a YA. Then I don't feel so burned out.

mare said...

oh good! i'm so glad you posted this! i need something good soon!