Friday, February 24, 2017

Cancun Day 4

Today was actually one of the funnest days we had during our stay. And it was all a happy accident and totally unplanned. 

It started out at 7am with Blake and I waiting for the bus to pick us up at our hotel to take us to the Xplor Adventure Park. We waited and waited and after an hour and a half we got really nervous. Had they forgotten us? Were we ripped off? Blake and I didn't know what to do. There was this guy outside our hotel who saw Blake and I looking a little agitated and offered to help us. I was a little wary accepting his help. I didn't know him and was super scared of getting scammed while we were in Mexico. He was a native and offered to call the tour company and translate for us. It took a big leap of faith for me to hand over our confirmation email to him. He called the company and turns out the park was closed that day and our Xplor day should have been for the NEXT day. (all the while he's on the phone speaking Spanish, I'm thinking "You could totally be telling your brother to come pick us up for our "tour" and then rob us and leave us for dead in the jungle.) But this guy, Egar, was SO NICE and HELPFUL and we LOVED HIM!  Turns out he worked inside the hotel at the travel desk and was just outside waiting for his shift to start. Shame on me for being so cynical. 

So with our day suddenly free, we just flew by the seat of our pants. We started by using our free couples massage we got for going to the timeshare presentation. It was amazing and so, so relaxing! I closed my eyes and listened the ocean as this lady worked on all my sore back muscles.

Blake relaxing after his massage.

Then we hit the beach!


 The waves were so big and the tide was crazy strong. Since I was being a worry wart making sure Blake wasn't swept out to sea, I took a bunch of pictures.




 After lunch, we went up to the room to get changed. We decided to go out and explore some more of Cancun.
 We rode the city bus down to the heart of Cancun's shopping district. We found some fun things like The Hard Rock Cafe and the giant spider man.

 We stopped here to rest and get a view of the Lagoon. Apparently there are alligators in the Lagoon, but we didn't see any. The warning did keep us from wanting to use any of the hotel kayaks though. Fall out and get eaten by an alligator? No thanks!

 Even though we had just eaten lunch and had dinner reservations at our hotel for another 5 course dinner, we couldn't resist stopping to eat at Bubba Gumps Shrimp Co.

 Blake was amazed at the foliage that grew all over Cancun

It was fun to leave the resort and explore Cancun on our own. And yes, we went back to our hotel and ate a 5 course meal. It was hard work, but someone had to do it!

No comments: