Alright, I know maybe I need to get over myself sometimes, but as my friend so poetically pointed out the other day: blogging is therapeutic. And I have to vent to someone otherwise it's going to bother me all day. This involves a recent FB conversation. A friend asked what people were getting their husbands for Father's Day so I replied. Then these 2 strangers also commented on what I had to say:
Me: I think it's funny that someone else is getting their husband an under armor shirt because that is what I got Blake too. They are his favorite workout shirts. When I was pregnant and it was blake's first "unofficial" father's day I got him the willow tree figurine of the dad holding a baby. It was a good gift for that moment in our marriage, but I can't do stuff like that every year.
Stranger #1 are those willowtree figurines a mormon thing, or does everyone like those?
Stranger #2 I don't like them.
Maybe you were expecting something more? I know, I know. Usually I feel like I can let things like this just roll off my back considering that I teach middle school and hear things like "I hate you" or "This class is dumb" all the time. But for some reason this just rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe it's the massive sunburn I got on the back of neck and my hair part that is making me kind of kooky today.
Internet is hard because you can easily read in a tone in the message that may or may not be really there. But here I am just trying to be helpful & give some gift suggestions and these 2 people WHO I DON'T KNOW FROM ADAM decide to be rude (at least that's how I interpreted it) about what I said. What is with people?! I guess the saying "if you can't say anything nice..." is not something they live by. Fine, don't get a willowtree figurine. I don't care! I was commenting on a question asked by a friend. Maybe YOU should also comment on what said friend had to say instead of being rude to a complete stranger. Blake made the astute observation that the internet has made it easier to be rude. He said that if all of us were sitting around talking about this there is no way those people would have made those comments to my face. Maybe I am still sensitive about my last FB fiasco, but it feels good to get that off my chest. Otherwise I would be having this conversation running through my head all day. And my friend is right, blogging is therapeutic.
Me: I think it's funny that someone else is getting their husband an under armor shirt because that is what I got Blake too. They are his favorite workout shirts. When I was pregnant and it was blake's first "unofficial" father's day I got him the willow tree figurine of the dad holding a baby. It was a good gift for that moment in our marriage, but I can't do stuff like that every year.
Stranger #1 are those willowtree figurines a mormon thing, or does everyone like those?
Stranger #2 I don't like them.
Maybe you were expecting something more? I know, I know. Usually I feel like I can let things like this just roll off my back considering that I teach middle school and hear things like "I hate you" or "This class is dumb" all the time. But for some reason this just rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe it's the massive sunburn I got on the back of neck and my hair part that is making me kind of kooky today.
Internet is hard because you can easily read in a tone in the message that may or may not be really there. But here I am just trying to be helpful & give some gift suggestions and these 2 people WHO I DON'T KNOW FROM ADAM decide to be rude (at least that's how I interpreted it) about what I said. What is with people?! I guess the saying "if you can't say anything nice..." is not something they live by. Fine, don't get a willowtree figurine. I don't care! I was commenting on a question asked by a friend. Maybe YOU should also comment on what said friend had to say instead of being rude to a complete stranger. Blake made the astute observation that the internet has made it easier to be rude. He said that if all of us were sitting around talking about this there is no way those people would have made those comments to my face. Maybe I am still sensitive about my last FB fiasco, but it feels good to get that off my chest. Otherwise I would be having this conversation running through my head all day. And my friend is right, blogging is therapeutic.
8 comments:
Oh that would really bug me. BTW they sale those figurines here in Georgia so no they aren't a Mormon thing.
So rude! I think Blake is right -- they wouldn't have said that to your face. (Unless one of them was Nicole's movie-seat stealer in Alaska.) And I don't think the Willow Tree figurines are just a Mormon thing. I have a sister who loves them and she is completely anti-Mormon. :)
I think that is rude for sure. I have had similar things happen to me on FB. Blake is right, it gives people more of an opportunity to be rude because they don't know you, so who cares about feelings right!? For the record, I like the Willow tree figurines and I would like them even if I wasn't a Mormon!
One more reason I'm glad I don't Facebook. I would totally have my feelings hurt. And I loved all the little Brookisms from your previous post. What a fun age!
Sorry to hear about the FB fiasco, but I was even more sorry to hear about your sunburn. Regardless, I'm still glad you came yesterday.
I had a facebook fiasco where I congratulated a HSchool friend on the upcoming birth of her twins. She thanked me and then went on to wish me luck on my interview next week. Ummmm, I haven't had an interview in years for anything, so I am pretty sure she has no idea who I am, even though I KNOW she asked me to be a friend. So do I un friend her? Or continue to spy on her? Also, how do you unfriend people in your ward or ignore those requests?
You are a much better person than I am, because I'm pretty sure I would have replied back with a comment such as, "Well I don't like rude people." I have had lots of similar experiences. . . I'll have to tell you some of them on our walk tomorrow. You know though, the one good thing that I think always come from encounters with rude people is that it makes me really grateful that I know better than to act that way. . . maybe they really don't.
You ought to try Indonesia on FB. This is the third biggest country using FB because of the size of the islands and phone service being bad. So everyone FB's each other. When I FB a returned missionary and wish him well, I get all kinds of bahasa Indonesia garble about who knows. It really plugs up the FB. You know what I do? Accept them all. Maybe there is someone that has no friends and to be accepted for only a one time shot may make their day. But then when they FB back about your sex life...I am in so much trouble. Especially when at 62 you can't even remember what the word means.
Post a Comment