Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Another month gone by...

Is it me, or does this summer seem to be going by abnormally fast? I can't believe that June is almost over with. It's going to be fall again before we know it! But I cannot let myself think like that. Instead, I am enjoying my lazy summer days and Brooke's freakishly long naps. We've been playing hard in the mornings while it's still somewhat cool outside, then eat lunch. Brooke pretty much naps the afternoon away--taking 3 or sometimes even 4 hour naps. She's still in bed by 8 too! No complaints from me!

The other morning, it was like 7:45 when I woke up and I couldn't believe I had actually slept in that late. I hurried into Brooke's room (always fearing there's something wrong) and found her sitting on the top of her crib bumper--she'd smooshed it down to make a little seat--with her back against the crib bars. She just gave me the biggest smile when I walked in--just perfectly content with her accomplishment. I can brag about that story because we've just recovered from another bout of teething. Every few weeks Brooke is cranky and sleeps terrible because she's getting a new tooth. Teething is the slowest process ever for her! So I'm always glad when Brooke returns to her normal, happy self.

We started swim lessons this week. Brooke reminds me a lot of my niece Olivia when she's near the water. I have a vivid memory of taking Olivia to the pool in Logan a few years ago and that girl had no fear whatsoever! She didn't care if the water was too deep or if she tripped and when under. She would jump to you from the side of the pool whether you were ready or not for it. And that is exactly how Brooke is turning out to be. Our first day all the other kids were clinging to their moms for dear life and crying when it was time to float on their backs. Not Brooke, though. Brooke laughs when I dunk her under the water and I spent most of the first day trying to keep her out of the deep end of the pool. I'm glad she's not afraid of the water, but she about gives me a heart attack sometimes and I have to watch her every second. She thinks she's a lot bigger & can do a lot more than she is able to.

Brooke had her 18 month appointment today. She weighs 22.15 lbs (20th percentile) and is 32 inches long (75th percentile) She is starting to get these crazy curls in the back of her hair, but the front and sides are straight. She has a total of 6 teeth with the 7th one poking through--didn't I say teething has been a long process?

She's still a little behind on vocabulary. By this point she's supposed to be able to say 5 words. I realized that most of her words are really more like sound effects: uh-oh, wow, ow, whoa. Baby, ball, bubble, balloon all come out as some sort of variation between ba-ba or buh-buh. Her only words that she can really say are eye and nose. She can point to her nose and eye and she will point out a baby. Even recent pictures of herself she points to and says baby. And she can sign eat and more which is pretty handy. But we'll keep working on saying words.

But not having a very big vocabulary hasn't stopped Brooke from talking up a storm! This was one of those moments that I was so glad to the video camera close by. She just sat down and opened a book and started to "read" it. It was the cutest thing I had seen her do!

9 comments:

Sarah said...

I love long naps! You finally get a moment to yourself. :) I always think the worst, too, when my girls sleep longer than normal. I guess that's part of being a mom.

The Crace's said...

I think it is my fault that summer is going by so fast. I've been wishing it away for a while. I'll have it slow down in a couple of weeks :)

Kolbi Young said...

When did Brooke transition from two naps to one? Ryker still needs his morning naps, but there have been a few days in the last two months where he absolutely refuses to take his afternoon nap.

I think her vocabulary is doing great! Especially if the milestone is only 5 words at this age! Swim lessons sound fun....I need to do that! I must admit, I'm slightly jealous that you have the summer off to enjoy your little miss! Wish I had that schedule :)

Nicole said...

So cute! and yay for long naps! I know summer is going by so quick. 3 weeks until we fly to Wy, then its home for 3 days and off to Valdez and then only 10 days until school after that. I am looking forward to 2 weeks of real heat. Right now my heater still kicks on every morning to keep us at 68 in the house. we need some more sun!

Anonymous said...

Oh she is so dang cute! I love that little voice of hers. Can't wait to see you guys over the fourth. We'll be out from Fri-Mon if that's cool. I have a kitchen for Brooke if she doesn't have one. We'll try to make it fit! I'll call you soon.

The Sugar Loaf said...

We have played this video over at least fifty times. We are just so amazed at her inflection as she explains the story. What a smart little Girl. I love the way she sits by the window and has all her little toys around her. Oh how I miss that little Girlie. Thank you so much for the videos, pictures. The one of her walking along on the driveway swinging her arms is so cute. How do you get anything done?

Kolbi Young said...

Okay, you're right.....not jealous of trying to teach the 12-13 year olds - haha! I can barely handle teaching the four year olds in Primary. Ugh :) Thank goodness there are others in this world blessed with the talent of loving and teaching children - including you! Enjoy your summer break, it is a good reward for a long, hard year!

Carolyn said...

I also feel like the summer is flying by! And the kids just keep getting older, too! According to my mo-in-law, it is a sign of the times :)

The Sugar Loaf said...

I keep saying this is my favorite video yet until the next one comes. But Brooke reading the book and talking is priceless. When her voice inflection changes as she knows what she is saying, you can tell you have done the same thing when you read. I love her little reading nook by the window. Oh my, how she is growing up.