Monday, January 9, 2012

How We're Growing

I am 35.5 weeks and am anxious for this baby to come. Although he is showing no signs of making a grand entrance anytime soon. I have been feeling braxton hicks contractions since November, but when I went into the Dr. last week he informed me that I was not dialated at all. Dang! I am hoping for something (even just 1cm) this week. The third trimester has brought back nausea with a vengence and really uncomfortable, sleepless nights. Not to mention the baby will kick and poke so hard sometimes I wouldn't be surprised if a foot suddenly broke through the skin. And in case you were wondering, we still don't have a name. Just last night Blake and I were laying in bed saying "What about...for a name?" back and forth.
I found this picture of myself when I was pregnant with Brooke. This was taken 10 days before I delivered. And here is me with #2 taken just yesterday.

As you can tell, my babies need lots of room to stretch out and make themselves comfortable.

We have also been trying to get prepared as possible for the baby's (hopefully soon) arrival. Over Christmas break Blake and I were able to accomplish some projects. First and foremost, a place for the babe to sleep:

My vision of stripes came to life and looks so cute with the print on his crib bedding. We also did some work in Brooke's room. We moved Brooke from her crib into a toddler bed. Blake made this bed for his nephew when he was in high school. I love that our own children will sleep in it too.
Brooke loves it. Naptimes have become more hit and miss since she is not confined to her crib anymore. But we put one of those plastic doorknob covers on the inside of her door, so even if she doesn't sleep she still has a couple hours of "quiet time" in her room and she doesn't complain about it. One thing is for certain: Brooke will definitely be wearing a different outfit when nap/quiet time is over than before! Same goes with bedtime. Twice after Brooke got her bed, we woke up in the middle of the night to see Brooke's bedroom light on and her playing. We told her to get back to bed and it hasn't happened since. Now, she will wake up and get herself dressed and play in her room until Blake or I wake up and get her out. That part is actually so nice. We've been able to sleep in until 8am on the weekends.


Since we lost the storage under her crib, I asked Blake to build some shelves for Brooke inside her closet. Her closet is wider than the door frame, so there is a nook that is perfect for shelving. We've since painted the shelves pink to match everything else. Blake didn't like the look of the unfinished wood and wanted it to match. He's a perfectionist, what can I say? And I'll admit, it does make it look better. And I love that Brooke's toys, books, puzzles, now have a place of their own!


Brooke has quite the imagination too. She tells me that she is Rapunzel and that I am batman all the time. Blake and I have been watching the Harry Potter movies and Brooke now takes her little toy broom and "flies" around the house looking for Kevin (the giant bird from "Up"). Last night she had a ruler and was playing doctor with Blake and I--checking our eyes and ears and legs with it. Brooke also went to primary for the first time yesterday. I can't believe she is a Sunbeam! She was very scared when I took her in the primary room and found her a seat with her new teachers. She didn't cry though and when we picked her up at the end of the church she was all smiles.

4 comments:

Sarah H. said...

You look so cute, you are all belly! I love your belly pictures. The baby's room looks so cute...I am jealous we don't really get to decorate a room for Elliot.

Kolbi Young said...

Love the baby's new room! The stripes look awesome. I'm so not ready for Ryker to be crib-free. He's been waking up from naps and mornings shouting, "I need to go potty....." So I feel a little bad that he can't get out and go. But I know naps would be lost and he's not one that I can trust for "quiet play" alone. We need to work on that!

Nursery already? Oh I can see Brooke's hesitation! She's got to be the youngest one in there. So glad to hear that she was happy after class :)

Nicole said...

I love that you get to be batman! How did she come up with that? So funny! I love the room and the bedding and I think you have a little more growing room before thise pictures match :)

Love you.
Nicole

Hoenes Family said...

You look fantastic. Also, carrying much lower this time. Well, that is how it looks to me :) I could be wrong! You have been busy! Everything looks great. What a handyman Blake is! I love your comment about me not getting an epidural. I think you are absolutely right.