Monday, September 23, 2013

13.1 Fun! {or not}

Saturday was my big race day. I got up at 5:00 am (that's earlier than I wake up for work!) to get ready, eaty breakfast and pick up my friend Cami by 5:30. We drove to the finish line where buses took the runners up the canyon to the start line. When we got to the top, it was still dark and it was freezing outside! Luckily there were fire pits to stand around, but it was chilly in running clothes!

Me, Cami, and Andrea huddled around the campire, then later as the sun rose before the race
My MIL was so nice to come help with the kids and take pictures too. (I'm not sure why they look so grainy, though. Maybe her camera was on a weird setting. You'll see that some of the pics the colors looks washed out too.)

Brooke colored me a sign
I started out great. I found out there were going to be pacers running the races and finishing at different times. Last year I finished at 2:25 so my goal was to stick to the 2:20 pacer like glue and finish with her. As we started, I realized her pace was too slow! So I passed her and ran with the 2:10 pacer for most of the race. I felt awesome! Amazing what a difference it makes running a half marathon when I wasn't pregnant (like I was in 2008) or recovering from having a baby (like I was in 2012).

Between miles 4 & 5


This is around mile 11 and I was starting to hurt. It was hot, I should have carried my own water because I started having a weird, almost going to shock feeling, and the aid stations weren't close enough. Blake came out and gave me some water. To top it off, around mile 8 my right foot really started to hurt. A little after mile 11, I was in so much pain I had to stop and walk (I hate that I have to say that!) for a bit. I was determined to finish and finish running, but I was almost in tears because running on my foot hurt so bad.



Hey mom! Where ya going? I'm right here!

The finish line is really fun. They had music, food, and a bounce for the kids while they waited


I love this pic. Ummm, Blake, aren't you supposed to be watching our kids? (He's watching for me)
I finally finished!! I was never so happy to cross a finish line! My time was 2:13 and I was shocked! That is 12 minutes faster than last year and 7 minutes faster than my goal time.





Me, Cami, and Andrea at the finish. They were a huge support system while we trained this summer.
So, to sum it up--SO GLAD to be done with 13.1. 

After the race I soaked in my in-laws hottub for a while, but the pain in my foot didn't go away. Finally, I decided to go to the doctor at the urgent care. They took xrays but stress fractures can take a week to 10 days to show up in one (weird). The Dr. put a brace on it and told me to ice it and stay off it for 48 hours and then see how it feels. It's been 2 days now and it still hurts. I wear the brace and limp around then use crutches when I can't stand it any longer. If it doesn't improve by the end of the week I go back for more xrays and a new game plan. Boo!! This definitely solidifys my plans that I will be doing a different kind of race in the spring--I'm done with running for a bit, I think!

3 comments:

Mrs. Stephanie Finlayson said...

Girl You ROck! Way to go! That is a an awesome time. I'm sorry to hear about your foot. Running injuries always take so long to heal up. Hang in there and relax...you've earned it.

Kolbi Young said...

I'm so impressed. Namely, that you find the time to train. I feel so exhausted after work/kids, that going out for a run is the last thing I want to do. I'm sorry about your injury - winter is a good time to let things heal up :(

I also wanted to comment on your "Keeping it Together" post. After I read that, I seriously thought - that is the best post I've read in a long time. I have so many similar feelings as you. And it is a tricky balancing act that I'm constantly juggling. And why am I so tired all. the. time....??? Thanks for sharing your thoughts - made me feel better about my own internal struggles. I hope things smooth out as the school year gets underway!

Our ABC Family said...

You go woman! What an amazing accomplishment! You're such an example to many, especially to your kids about setting and following through with your goals! I hope your foot feels better soon and that you can have some answers!