Sunday, May 22, 2016

Storymakers and Mother's Day

 For Mother's Day weekend this year I attended the LDStorymaker's Conference. It was a Friday/Saturday event, but I had to drive up Thursday so I could stay the night with my mom and then I drove home Sunday morning. Blake stayed home to watch the kids so I could attend and it was a wonderful weekend away by myself.

LDSstorymaker's is a writing conference for people who love to write books and want to work on improving their craft. Both days are full of tons of great classes from published LDS authors (Lisa Mangum, James Dashner, Brandon Mull, Jennifer A. Nielson, Bethany Wiggins, N.C. Allen, just to name a few of the presenters) and classes taught by national agents and editors. The atmosphere is always really fun it's just an awesome feeling to be surrounded by 750 other people who share your same hobbies and dreams. I always end up leaving feeling really inspired and motivated to better myself and my writing.

Four years ago I met these two lovely ladies at another writing conference. We don't live near each other so we meet up at the writing conferences throughout the year and connect on Facebook the rest of the time.

Sunday morning I woke up early and drove home so I could be back in time to seethe oldest two sing their mother's day song in sacrament meeting. When it was time to sing, Porter chose to stand right in front of the podium, up by the microphone. All through the song you could see him eyeing the microphone and at one point he even reached for it. I think the entire congregation was holding their breath waiting to see if Porter was going to break out into a solo. He didn't, thank goodness.

Brooke brought me a plant and a little purse she made at school that had questions she answered about me written inside:
I love my mom because she does nice things for me (picture of us going to Smiths Grocery Store)
My favorite thing to do with my mom is go to Subway.
My mom is 42 years old.
My mom's name is Corney
My mom's favorite color is silver
My mom's favorite food is ravioli
 Brooke also made me a flower lei necklace to wear to church on Sunday. The kids were very cute and made my day really special.

No comments: