Most of you know that I am not the healthiest eater. But since having Brooke I have been thinking of ways for Blake and I to be more healthy and set a good example (well, Blake is already a pretty good eater. It's me who needs to change). Also with the weather getting warmer it's always nice to cool off with a yummy summer treat. I was at the store and went to grab a huge box of otter pops and stopped myself. I realized I did not want Brooke to be eating tubes of sugar all summer long. A friend of mine sent me these smoothie popsicle recipes off the PYP blog (some of you may have already seen these). These look so good! I'm excited to try them out:
Orange Julius
1/4 c. orange juice concentrate
1 1/2 c. milk
1 or 2 bananas
3-4 raw baby carrots
handful of pineapple
handful of frozen peaches
half apple cut into chunks
1 c. vanilla yogurt
honey to sweeten (optional)
Blend until smooth. If you use frozen fruit you shouldn't have to add any ice. If you use canned fruit or all fresh you will want to add ice.
Purple Passion
1/2 c. vanilla yogurt
1 c. milk
handful of frozen blueberries, raspberries & strawberries
small handful of raw baby spinach
3-4 baby carrots
1 banana
honey to sweeten
Peanut Butter Blast (this one is more of a yummy treat!)
1 c. milk
1/2 c. peanut butter
1 banana
chocolate syrup
small handful of graham crackers
ice
The recipes don't say, but since they are called "smoothie popsicles" I am assuming you could pour them into those popsicle molds and freeze them. I'm sure you can also just drink them. I actually made a smoothie for Brooke and I today and just put it in sippie cup with a straw and Brooke loved it! Also, Smith's sells an already assorted bag of frozen fruit. It was cheaper than buying each bag of frozen fruit individually.
Do any of you have any other cool treat ideas for summer that are kid friendly and healthy? I'm all ears.
7 comments:
my favorite smoothie is 1 banana, a bunch of strawberries, and orange juice and ice. I just eyeball it and sometimes add yogurt. I am not to sure how healthy that peanut butter smoothie is...
Those look like yummy ideas. We live off of otter pops in the summer...sometimes we freeze grapes and eat them. It is just so much cheaper to buy a bag of otter pops then to buy all the ingredients for smoothies! Maybe when we are done with being college students...
Misty, Yeah I think we'll still do some otter pops just because they are easy & good. I just like the idea of having some other options. I really like how there is fruit and veggies in these recipes too.
I had a box of otter pops in my car during the winter, so they were available to snack on all winter long! Now we have them in the freezer, and they are so good! But I should be better myself, I need to find a way to break my soda habit.
I've heard of using the Popsicle molds for frozen yogurt. Just add any variety of yogurt and freeze......Easy!
We make smoothies all the time in the summer but I hadn't thought to add spinach. That is good thinking to pack in the veggies....something we have a hard time with. In fact I made asparagus and corn on the cob tonight and Tyler asked why we needed both. Ha!
I love, love, love smoothies! I could seriously have one everyday. Thanks for the new recipes. My favorite is similar to Nicole's -- 1 cup milk, 1 cup vanilla yogurt, 1 banana, 1 cup strawberries, 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate, and ice (optional).
We do a lot of fruit in the summer. To cut down on the cost, we will hit the U-pick farms and freeze a bunch. We usually devour it all before Thanksgiving, though. :)
Thanks for the tip about the PYP blog. I hadn't heard of that yet, and it looks like there are some great ideas.
These recipes look delicious. I can actually get yogurt here so I will try some of these ideas. I am not sure about the baby carrots and yogurt but sounds healthy.
Post a Comment